Thursday, February 16, 2012

The hype about Pinterest

Okay, so what exactly is Pinterest? After reading through some articles and asking around, I decided to check it out. I had to request an invite which made me feel special, until I realized that others probably received invites without having to request one themselves. My confirmation email kindly stated: "Thanks for joining the Pinterest waiting list. We'll be sure to send you an invite soon." Hold on, I have to wait to receive an invite? I thought I was good to go. Apparently not. Considering I cannot access my own pinterest board until I move up on their waiting list, I'll start by explaining what Pinterest is and why I even requested an invite.

The definition directly from pinterest.com tells us: "Pinterest is a virtual pinboard to organize and share the things you love." There are pictures, lots of them. It is a visual form of Twitter. With these pictures, you can post them, I mean "pin" them, on your board(s). From my understanding, you can have several boards because they resemble lists. I think of it as a bulletin board with sticky notes that others can comment on or even re-stick on their own boards, if they choose to do so. One giant online bulletin board with lots and lots of digital push pins. Please correct me if I'm wrong; I'm still on the waiting list and haven't been formally allowed into the virtual pinboard just yet.

So what's the point? Pinterest drives referral traffic, as do Facebook and Twitter. But it's visual. It also has a reciprocity aspect like other social media sites: you can share, comment and repin others' pins.  

Once I'm accepted (crossing my fingers), I'll let you know how I truly feel about it. It seems like a trend that I need to take part in due to the hype it has generated around its' prospective PR uses. Let's hope that I'm invited!

UPDATE: I received an invite! Officially on Pinterest, but I'm not sure what to do next...

No comments:

Post a Comment